Nöst I, 30 Apr 2021 - Done 30 June 2021

I was learning from the last time, when the cheese turned out just a tad to small for my rib-roll-press, I used 5 l whole milk this time, 

 

These are the additives I need to get the cheese started:

  • At the left, by the dark brown cup There is rennet. I used 5 ml of that; one for each liter.
  • In the middle there is a bag with bacteria culture in it. It's a Mesophilic Culture. I used one sachet.
  • At the right, by the blue cup, there is calcium chloride. I used 2.5 ml of that
    I didn't use that in my first cheese. I should have!
    The calcium chloride aids in the curding of the milk, and I got a way better result than the first try, even if I also this time had to wait for about 45 minuets. for it.
  • In front you can see a roasting thermometer. As I warm the milk slowly to 29-30°C, it's totally OK to use that thermometer. It's accurate enough.

 

The milk reached correct temperature, and first I added the Calcium chloride, that I'd mixed with 1/4 cup of water. 

I poured it slowly in while stirring.

Then the bacteria culture was added.

I added it to the top of the milk and waited about a minute for the powder to rehydrate before I stirred it in thoroughly.

Then the rennet was added. That was also mixed with a 1/¤ cup of water before I added it.

Then i stirred it in while I added it in a small but steady stream.

After that I stirred it again, taking care not to stir it for more than one minute. I didn't want to still be stirring when the curding reaction started.

Here the knife makes a clean break in the curd. I had tested it from time to time after it had rested for 30 minutes.

45 minutes was what it turned out to need.

It can be hard to see on this picture, but just click on it and you'll get a bigger version in it's own page. You can do that with all the pictures (almost).

I don't have any sophisticated equipment like a curd cutter or all that jazz.

To cut the curd I use a normal chef's knife, and it does the job well enough for me, so I won't get any equipment like that either. It's a matter of place to store it.

First I cut at an angel as flat as i could, to do the horizontal cuts.

Next I cut straight down, both ways, to end up with small squares about a centimeter and a half in size.

 

Now, first I left it to rest for 5 minutes.

Then I stirred slowly and carefully  for 5 minutes and then I let it rest for ten minutes to settle and sink a bit.

I put a siv in the kettle and removed a liter of wey, that I replaced with a liter of water, heated to 60°C.

The warm water was added slowly. The idea was to bring the mix up to 30 - 31°C without it getting the water so fast that it kills some of the bacteria culture.

Now I had to add some cold water for it not to get to hot, but as I had added a liter of water, I stirred for ten minutes.

Then I let it settle for ten minutes.

 

Now I had warmed up a couple of liters with water to about 37°C.

I put the siv in again, and removed the wey down to the level of the curd. Then I added water again till I reached the same level as I started with.

Now I stirred for 20 minutes.

All this is done to reduce the acidity in the cheese.

Then I let it rest for a final 10 minutes.


Using a colander and a kitchen towel, I drained away as much wey as I could.

I left it for 15 minutes in the colander to run off.

I lined my rib-roll-press with the berry juice linen with the little gas cloth on top to protect the cheese from the rings. I am so looking forward to when my cheese cloths arrive.

Then I will sow some linens that will fit perfectly in the press.

I moved all the curd over in the press, and folded the linen over as best as I could. It became quite full!

 

 


Carefully I put on the little gas cloth and folded the outer cloth so the rings did not lay on top of each other.

I put the lid on and pressed it as much as I could to make tha cheese as firm as I could. 
A lot of wey came out then too.

Then i inserted the press in my jig, so the wey could run off.

I left it like that for 12 hours.

I mixed some saturated salt brine. I just added salt to the water and whisked it until it was dissolved. Then I repeated that until it would not dissolve more salt, and it ended at the bottom of the bowl I used. I then poured the brine over into another bowl, leaving the salt in the bottom of the first.

Using the press bottom as weight, I had the cheese in the salt brine for 12 hours.

 

(Continuing under pictures)

 

Now the cheese had to dry. 

It'll take 1 to 2 days, and it has to be turned from time to time. You know that it's dry enough when you feel that it has a dry surface.

I cut a vacuum bag to the appropriate size.

Vacuum-time!!

 

The last thing I do is to write the date it is to be finished aging, before I put it in my 7°C fridge for 2 months, while I turn it every morning.

 

 

 

And: Have a cheesy day